Breast Enlargement Surgery
Breast Enlargement/Augmentation (or a ‘boob job’) is probably the most common surgical cosmetic procedure performed in the UK. This procedure aims to create a fuller breast in proportion to the rest of the body and should have a positive effect on self-confidence and body image.
Cosmetic surgery is purely elective and careful consideration should be given to both the benefits and risks before making a decision to proceed.
Book a FREE mini cosmetic consultation
Why not book a free consultation with one of our renowned cosmetic consultants to find out more information and to talk through the cosmetic procedure you wish to have. Click below to find out more.Book a free mini cosmetic consultation
Our renowned cosmetic consultants at Baddow Hospital, offer free mini consultations so that you can gain the best understanding of the procedure before you make a firm decision. You’ll be able to discuss implant options as well as receive answers to any questions you may have. This should help you make a decision that’s right for you. Our clinical hospital facilities are clean and safe, and our staff friendly, to make you feel at ease when it comes to making a choice on cosmetic procedures at our Chelmsford-based hospital in Essex.
If you’d like a free mini consultation for more information on our breast surgeries, please book onto one of our evenings in the toolbar above.
Following your cosmetic consultation
Following a Breast Enlargement consultation with your surgeon, we advise you allow at least 14 days before making a decision. This is to give yourself time to absorb the information you have been given and ask any further questions.
Our consent form is designed to ensure that, before your surgery, you and your surgeon have fully agreed the procedure planned and you understand all the potential benefits and possible complications. We will only proceed with surgery once this form has been completed.
The procedure is usually performed under general anaesthetic as a day case procedure (ie coming in and out of the hospital the same day). However, on occasion the surgeon, or patient, may feel it is appropriate to stay in Baddow Hospital overnight.
Implants are inserted through one of a variety of incisions, depending on your desired result. They are placed either under the breast, around the nipple or around the armpit; either in front of the chest muscle (to restore fullness); or behind the chest muscle (usually for patients who have very small breasts). Your surgeon will discuss which position is best for your implants.
There are three different shapes of implant available:
- anatomical (tear drop)
All three of these shapes come in a range of sizes.
For the base of each implant, there are four different profiles, a term used to describe the edge or ‘take off’ of the implant
- low – a softer, subtle edge giving more of a natural look
- extra high – a profile that has a steeper edge to the implant, resulting in lots of cleavage and providing a more ‘false’ look
Most women have some form of minor breast asymmetry (unevenness). One side may differ from the other in volume, position of the nipple or shape of the chest wall. This is entirely normal. Your surgeon will try to modify this as best he/she can during the procedure but it is within normal limits for minor variances to exist or remain after surgery
If you’d like to see the remarkable breast surgery from our renowned consultants, click here to see before and after images of the procedure.
“Keeping it Natural”
We’ve put together a handy infographic to help you find out more about choosing the breast implant that’s suitable for your body type. Click on the infographic to view within our Baddow Hospital blog.
Preparing for Breast Enlargement Surgery
Please ensure you attend a pre-operative assessment clinic with our designated nurses who will review your medical questionnaire, check your blood pressure and pulse and carry out any other relevant tests.
We ask you to buy OCTENSIAN body wash (available at Baddow Hospital), which reduces the risk of infection and should be used for one week before surgery. We will supply you with a post-operative bra as part of your package but you may want to consider purchasing an additional bra through Baddow Hospital – and you should also purchase a couple of well-fitting, front-fastening sports bras..
Before coming into hospital, if you smoke, we advise you to give up for at least two weeks before your ‘boob job’. Apart from the other health risks, smoking delays wound healing.
To help reduce bruising from the surgery, some surgeons advise patients taking two Arnica tablets three times a day for two or three days prior to surgery and for a week after surgery. It should, however, be omitted on the day of surgery. Your nurse will advise you about this.
Do not take aspirin for at least one week prior to surgery, unless advised by your surgeon.
Ensure things you need on a daily basis are within easy reach, as you must not raise your arms past your shoulders for the first two weeks. This also means you will need someone to wash your hair during this time.
It is advisable to wear comfortable, loose-fitting, front-fastening clothes on admission.
Aftercare for Breast Enlargement/Augmentation
Your aftercare will be discussed before discharge with your Consultant Cosmetic Surgeon and Nurse Specialist. Following Breast Augmentation Surgery, your breasts will be swollen, heavy and more sensitive; you may experience altered sensation, particularly around the nipples. This may take a few months to resolve and for your breasts to settle completely into their natural shape and sensation.
You will be seen by the nurse after the first week for a wound check.
Having a shallow bath is fine but you must wear a bra 24 hours a day for the first week, (except for changing). After this, the bra can be removed for bathing.
You will not be able to undertake household duties such as vacuuming, dusting, washing clothes, ironing and shopping for some time after your procedure. You will also need to avoid pushing, pulling or lifting objects. If you have small children, you may require childcare support during your recovery period.
You will receive a follow-up appointment at Baddow Hospital with the nurse and your surgeon prior to discharge.
Precautions to take after Breast Enlargement surgery
- Once out of hospital, you should refrain from lifting, strenuous exercise, general housework, tight tops, reaching high cupboards and sun bathing.
- Sleep propped up with pillows for the first two weeks.
- Do not sleep on your front.
- When in bed, prop a couple of pillows at either side of you to prevent you from rolling over in bed.
- Once your wounds have fully healed, you may use moisturiser such as Nivea or E45, massaging the whole breast and wounds gently as this will help soften the tissues.
- Do not participate in aerobics, gym work, athletics, swimming or attend a spa or sauna for up to six weeks, after which you should be able to gradually return to normal levels of activity.
- Don’t try to do too much too soon. If it hurts – stop and try another day.
- Although uncommon, infection can occur so you will be given a course of antibiotics to take. It is important to finish the course.
- Do not hesitate to contact us if your breasts appear red, hot, more tender and/or swollen; if you’re feeling unwell and have a raised temperature; if your breasts look ‘odd’ and become uncomfortable; or if you have pain, altered shape and firmness of a breast.
- Wear your supportive bra for 24 hours every day during the first two weeks to help to reduce swelling.
- Massage and moisturise. Treat the whole breast and scar. Use the palm of your hand to apply a moisturising cream for dry skin in a gentle circular movement. This helps to soften your skin and adjacent tissue and also enables the breast to adjust to its new contour.
- Experience how your breasts feel before letting anyone else touch them.
- Tel 01245 474 070 (8am to 8pm).
If you’d like to see more information regarding breast surgery, including additional recommendations to keep in mind and examples of breast surgery before and after the procedure, click here.
Related Breast Surgeries
Mastopexy Augmentation carried out by Mr Garrick Georgeu