The Mirena Coil and its benefits.
Choosing your form of contraception needs to be something which suits you and your partner.
A large part of this journey is trial and error. You need to let your body tell you which the best option is.
An option you may not have considered is the Mirena Coil.
What is the Mirena Coil?
The Mirena coil is a small plastic t-shaped devise. Once inserted into the uterus, it slowly releases a form of hormone ‘progesterone’ into the womb. This system then thickens the mucus of the cervix making it difficult for sperm to reach the womens egg. This also causes the thinning of the lining of the womb, reducing or aborting periods.
What are the benefits?
- It is effective for 5 years.
- Within the UK, it is one of the most effective form of contraception.
- The devise doesn’t interfere with sexual intercourse.
- It is safe to use whilst breast feeding.
- The Coil is not affected by other medication.
- If you were to decide at a later date to have a child, your fertility will return back to normal as soon as the coil has been removed.
- There is no current evidence to state that the mirena coil causes weight gain.
- There is no current evidence to state that the mirena coil increases your chances of getting cervical, ovarian cancer or cancer of the uterus.
- It can be fitted at any stage of your menstrual cycle.
To see if the mirena coil is the best option for you, simply book an appointment with our Gynaecologist Mr Philip Robarts. Mr Robarts will be able to run some tests to see if you are suitable for the mirena coil and answer any questions you may have.
If you would like to know if you are suitable for this treatment, or if you would like further information call our friendly and helpful team on 01245 474070 or e-mail email@example.com
You may also find the below links interesting: